Development of Sharia hotel in Indonesian is a response to the proliferation of sharia tourism sector. Sharia hotel is part of sharia tourism itself. Any tourist or travelers who enjoy sharia tourism package will stay at a hotel that applies the principles of sharia in any facility or operation.
Sharia hotel sharia does not produce, trade, provide or rent products or services in whole or in part that is prohibited under the provisions of Islam. As in the case of providing food contains elements of pork, drink alcohol, the presence of gambling, practice adultery, and so on which contain elements of unclean and forbidden by the Shari’ah.
Sharia hotel business is divided into two categories:
1. Hotels Sharia Hilal 1
Sharia hotel Hilal 1 is the classification for the sharia hotel business judged to meet all the criteria required for sharia hotel business to serve the needs of Muslim travelers minimally.
The Criteria of sharia hotels Hilal 1 includes :
• The availability of divider between the urinal one another to prevent sight.
• There are tools that make it easier to flush with water in the urinal and toilet
• There is a complete prayer tools (or by request)
• The availability of convenient perform ablution facilities
• The kitchen that serving halal food halal is separated with non-halal food processing
• Areas of worship that is clean and groomed
• Selection of the guests who come
• Spa separate between women and men’s groups
2. Hotels Sharia Hilal 2
Sharia hotel Hilal 2 is the classification for sharia hotel business hotel judged to meet all the criteria required for sharia hotel business to serve the needs of Muslims travelers in average.
Criteria of 2 sharia hotel Hilal 2 in basically is almost the same as the criteria sharia hotels Hilal 1 but there are some additional requirements, include:
• Availability of Islamic literature and Islamic ornate / ornament
• Food and drinks in the mini bar should have halal logo
• The kitchen / pantry just process halal food
• Especially for a Muslim employee to wear uniforms in accordance with the manner of women in Islam.
• Provide Ta’jil (snacks for breakfasting) during Ramadan
Thereby, in sharia hotel there are 3 aspects of sharia that must be met. First, the hotel itself. Second, halal restaurants. Third, spa and fitness center that comply with sharia.
The Restaurant criteria that must be met in sharia hotel are :
• Available halal food and beverage choices
• Provide Ta’jil during Ramadan
• Provide sahur dish during Ramadan
• Available pantry / kitchen which manages special halal food
The criteria of Spa / Swimming Pool / Fitness Centre which must be fulfilled in sharia hotel are :
• The pool should be indoor or protected from public view
• There is a separate therapy room between men and women
• The availability of therapeutic ingredients with official halal logo
• Spa serves only health massage and beauty treatment
• The therapist specifically for men guest and women therapists specifically for women guest
• Therapist is forbidden from touching and seeing the area around the sex organs
Terms of Sharia Hotel Certification
The certification of Sharia hotel business include: a certified standard of the hotel business, hotel business self-assessment and preparation Halal Assurance System (HAS), and meet the requirements of registration.
Then sharia hotel business certification procedures include:
• Employers apply for certification in National Sharia Board of Indonesian Ulama Council (DSN-MUI), then DSN-MUI bestows HAS audit to LPPOM MUI. Then the audit of halal assurance certificate will be assigned.
• If the SJH audit is not passed, then the employer must comply with the provisions of HAS. If the SJH audit is passed, LPPOM MUIwill report to Fatwa Commission. Then Fatwa Commission provides recommendations to LPPOM MUI to issue Halal certification.
• Furthermore, DSN MUI will conduct Sharia Business guidelines audits and assign the audit results. If Sharia Business guidelines audits did not pass then the employer conducts a self -assessment again. However, if passed, DSN MUI reports the results of the audit to the Executive Committee Board (BPH) MUI. BPH then make a recommendation to the DSN MUI to issue a Sharia certification to be accepted by the hotelier concerned.